There are a few steps that patients need to take prior to anesthesia:
- Eating/Drinking: Nothing by mouth for 6 hours prior to surgery
- Accompaniment: Patient must be accompanied home by a responsible adult who will be in charge of transportation. No taxi cabs unless accompanied by a responsible escort.
- Clothing: Loose clothing with short sleeves is required. If it is cold, please dress in layers.
- Medication: Take any medication your doctor has prescribed for you at the designated time.
- Time: Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment. We request that you use the restroom right before your appointment.
- Contact lenses: Contact lenses should not be worn.
- Alcohol: Please do not drink alcohol 12 hours before surgery.
- Finger nails: Nail polish must be removed from at least one finger on both hands. We can remove it for you if you need us to, but be prepared for this.
- Make-up and Jewelry: Please have all facial make-up and jewelry removed prior to arriving at the appointment.
- Hair: Your hair should be fixed so that it will not interfere with head positioning in the dental chair. No buns or ponytails, etc.
POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR I.V. SEDATION
FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY, PLEASE DO NOT:
- Drive an automobile
- Operate any machinery
- Drink alcohol
- Make any important family or legal decisions
- Use sharp objects or dangerous home appliances
- We will provide individual post operative instructions for the procedure being performed